Welcome to the 2nd edition of ‘Viral Diet Desserts’, where we will be taking viral diets, and finding dessert recipes that follow all of the rules of that diet. Today is The Zone Diet, I had never heard of this diet before, so I’ll read off some of the rules.
First off, this diet was created by a biochemist, and he claims that this is a pretty good diet to lose weight, while still eating the nutrients you need, and the only weight you will lose is fat. This is a hard diet to follow when making desserts, because one of the goals is to reduce the amount of carbs, and also that each meal must contain a low-fat protein, such as chicken or fish. So unfortunely we were not able to have a low fat protein, but we did meet all of the other requirements. The other rule is to have “good fat”, such as avocados or olive oil, and we happened to use both.
In this recipe, we used avocados and olive oil, which are both healthy fats, and good alternatives to butter. We also tried to cut down on the processed sugar, by reducing it to 1/4 of a cup, and the other 1/4 cup is maple syrup, a natural sugar. The last small change was just to use unsweetened cocoa powder, instead of sweetened.
- 2 medium, ripe avocados skin and pit removed
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Optional: Sea salt to top the brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, maple syrup, olive oil and sugar. Blend well. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well so that all of the ingredients are blended together.
- Gently add in the flour, baking soda and cocoa and mix well.
- Turn off the processor and remove the blade.
- Spread the batter into the pan evenly. Add sea salt if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Test the middle of the batter with a knife or toothpick to make sure nothing sticks.
- Remove from heat and let cool before cutting into squares.
Original recipe from: http://onehungrybunny.com/delicious-avocado-brownies/
Zone Diet information from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/zone-what-it-is